Known as the “Playground of the South”, Galveston is definitely among the best holiday destinations that Texas has to offer. Even though it’s just a small island, there are tons of activities, whatever your age is. Being such an important cruise port for Texas, all visitors should visit the famous Pleasure Pier.
The warm climate makes Galveston the perfect summer holiday spot for couples, families or groups of friends.
From the extraordinary Schlitterbahn Galveston and Moody Gardens theme parks to the fantastic nightlife, Galveston is a leading holiday destination. Keep reading this Galveston TX travel guide to find out more.
Why Visit Galveston?
Besides the long, beautiful beaches, Galveston also has a lot of history and culture to offer. Here are several reasons why everyone should take a trip to Galveston:
- Iconic attractions like: the Moody Mansion – former home to one of Texas’s most prominent families; the Texas Seaport Museum; The Strand Historic District and much more.
- Fantastic cafes, bars, and restaurants: The food is great on the island and no trip there should pass without checking the Sunflower Bakery and Café. On top of that, there are many gourmet restaurants and beach-side bars that offer happy hour during the whole day.
- Outdoor activities: Mountain biking is very popular on the island. Also, a lot of people visit just to go camping, hiking, fishing, and swimming.
- Popular nightlife destination: Galveston is known as the best nightlife location in Texas. It has more nightlife venues per capita than any other place in the State.
Things to Do in Galveston
One visit is not enough to check out all the amazing places in Galveston. Nevertheless, here are several locations you have to check out:
- Moody Gardens - Probably the best amusement park in Texas. Make sure you visit the aquarium, the Rainforest Pyramid, the Colonel Paddlewheel steamboat and of course the Discovery Museum.
- The Texas Seaport Museum – Check the golden age of one of America’s greatest ports. Everyone should go to the museum to see the Elissa, a beautiful ship that was built in 1877 and still sails to this day.
- The Strand Historic District – Visit some of the most beautiful buildings on the island. You can see hundreds of years of history in the district. Make sure you take the trolley to see sights like the Mayfield Manor, the Grand Opera House and some of the amazing art galleries.
Where to Stay in Galveston
The good thing about the island is that there is a lot of variety when it comes to accommodations. From guesthouses to luxury hotels, you will surely find a place to stay that will fit your budget.
- If you are watching your budget the Mariner Inn is a fantastic idea. Some of the mid-range hotels like Seascape or Best Western are also a nice choice. They are really suitable for a family vacation.
- There are several choices if you opt for luxury. The Moody Gardens Resort or the Tremont Hotel comes in mind. Another hotel that fits this category is the Avenue O Bed & Breakfast.
All in all, keep in mind that it’s best to visit Galveston during the summer. Whatever accommodations you choose, you won’t make a wrong decision. You will be spending most of your time on the beach, sightseeing or just doing some of the amazing activities mentioned above.